Monday, January 24, 2011

They Scare Me...

I am not scared easily. I can watch any horror movie without closing my eyes or hiding behind a pillow. But there is one thing in life that scares me. Teenagers.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not as if I've forgotten that it wasn't that long ago that I was one, but teenagers have changed in the past 10 years. Suddenly they're sex-crazed (even more than usual), they treat their bodies like they are disposable, they have no sense of morality, they treat each other like crap...okay, that has always been true...but now they do it online! And it's all "anonymous" so that they can hide behind their computer screens and bully without getting caught. There is also that site called Omegle? Where teenagers go to have random face to face video chats with complete strangers. Am I the only one who has major red flags going off in her head?

I'm scared of having teenagers. I am someone who was born to be a mother, but I'm petrified of my children becoming these god-awful beings. My niece is 5 1/2, and I just want to hide her away and shelter her from other children in case they turn her into one of them when she hits high school.

I blame sleepovers for a lot of it. I can only recall being allowed to go to two different sleepovers as a kid (not including staying with family). And both times were incredibly scarring! At one, during a game of Truth or Dare, I was dared to dry hump the couch, and I was mortified. I refused to do it and for the rest of the night I was shunned from their games. At the other, all of the girls talked about penises and sex and I just wanted to go home. (As I recall, I had begged and pleaded with my mother to let me go, so on principle I stuck it out)

Other than those two, I'm so glad my mother never allowed me to go for sleepovers. This has got to be when most of this Stranger Chat and anonymous bullying takes place. Under the cover of darkness while the naive parents are asleep.

I think needless to say, my future children are in for a big disappointment when it comes to sleepovers.

No comments: